UPDATE: 18-year-old Dunbar student killed in downtown Dayton shooting

Police responded to a shooting on Friday morning at In & Out Restaurant at 27 S. Jefferson St. BRYANT BILLING / STAFF

Credit: Bryant Billing

Credit: Bryant Billing

Police responded to a shooting on Friday morning at In & Out Restaurant at 27 S. Jefferson St. BRYANT BILLING / STAFF

A Dunbar High School student was killed in downtown Dayton Friday morning, said David Lawrence, Dayton Public Schools superintendent.

The 18-year-old was shot and killed near 27 S. Jefferson St., according to Dayton police.

The shooting was reported around 7:22 a.m. Friday after a 911 caller said a person who had been shot was inside of In & Out Restaurant.

The caller said the male had been shot in the stomach and came inside and sat down, according to Montgomery County Regional Dispatch records.

A potential suspect has been identified with images from cameras in the area, said Dayton police Assistant Chief Eric Henderson. A gun that may have been used in the shooting has been recovered.

While the suspect is at large, officials do not believe there is a threat to the public.

“This senseless event is hard for us all to comprehend,” Mayor Jeffrey J. Mims said. “Incidents like this are exactly why we are involving the community in reducing violence and building a peaceful city. We have zero tolerance for violence in our neighborhoods, downtown and across the city.”

DPS central office meets with all building principals when events like this occur, Lawrence said, and counselors are already in every middle and high school available for students.

He said the district will meet with all principals because it’s never clear whose sibling, cousin or friend knows the deceased person. While elementary schools are assigned by neighborhood, middle and high schools are not.

“Dayton’s a small town,” he said.